Interested in volunteering? Send us an email or contact us.
Interested in a smaller commitment? Volunteer for our events.
After School Tutor/Mentor (VOLUNTEER)
Reports to SYFC Program Director
Provide general support for After School Programs. Assist elementary and/Middle school students with homework and other academic needs; Assist with or lead enrichment activities; serve as an adult role-model for students in an ongoing one-on-one capacity. This position is expected to support the creation of “community” through development of positive, cooperative relationships with students, school staff and other volunteers.
Primary Roles & Responsibilities
- Assist students during “Homework Help” or any other academic support/enrichment from approximately 2:00 pm to approximately 5:00 pm
- Lead a project-based cooperative learning group during the school day or after school hours
- Help answer students’ questions as they are working through the class material and projects
- Support individual student academic needs as assigned
- Lead literacy circles as assigned
- Serve as a consistent mentor for an assigned student throughout the course of one school year in group mentoring or one-to-one planned activities
Qualifications and Requirements
- Enjoy working with children.
- Must be over age 18.
- Must pass a DCFS background check.
- Commit to a regular shift (minimum 2 hours per week).
- After School programs are implemented Monday-Friday from 4:00pm to 6:30pm.
- Volunteers needed over a school semester/three month period:
- Fall semester volunteer needs: early October – mid December.
- Spring semester volunteer needs: early February – May.